- orrent is one of the front-runners in the Indian pharmaceuticals industry having presence in Domestic as well as International markets. The Company has subsidiaries across the globe as under. The Company also has major commercial presence in Sri Lanka, Nepal and Myanmar.
- During the financial year 2017-18, the Company reported revenues of Rs. 6,002 crores, growth of 2% compared with Rs. 5,857 crores in the previous financial year. Previous period include exceptional revenues, primarily on account of the launch of a new product, which had limited competition.
- Torrent’s major pharma markets are India, US, Germany and Brazil. The Company’s strategic priorities in India and Brazil remains continuous focus on specialties, field force productivity and new product development.
- India is the largest provider of generic drugs globally with the Indian generics accounting for 20% of the global exports in terms of volume. Branded generics dominate the Indian pharmaceuticals market, constituting nearly 70 to 80% of the market. Of late, consolidation has become an important characteristic of the Indian Pharmaceutical Market (IPM) as the industry is highly fragmented. By 2022, India is likely to be the 9th largest market globally in absolute size.
- The Company on 14th Dec, 2017 has completed the acquisition of branded business of Unichem Laboratories Limited for India and Nepal strengthening its position in key segments of Cardiology, Diabetology, Gastrointestinal and CNS therapies. The acquisition includes more than 120 brands including leading brand ‘Losar’ which is the 2nd largest anti-hypertensive brand in the IPM. The acquisition also facilitated the entry in fast growing OTC segment with the brand ‘Unienzyme’. The Company is on track to achieve the synergy benefits from the acquired business integration; these synergies will be driven by a combination of revenue synergies, improvement in productivity, manufacturing rationalization & cost synergies.
- During the year, Company’s thrust on building big brands was sustained. The Company’s 18 brands are in top 500 brands of Indian pharmaceuticals market. Company has 15 brands with more than Rs. 50 crore sales including 7 brands with more than Rs. 100 crore sales.
- The Company received 4 ANDA approvals in 2017-18(in the USA). The Company has 84 ANDA approvals (including 5 tentative approvals) and its pipeline consists of 39 pending approvals and 93 products under development. The US business is expected to contribute to the growth of international business in a significant way.
- The Company has been building its portfolio in the generics with parallel filings of branded generic products. It has approvals of 21 generic products and 24 branded generics.
- Revenues from Germany operations during 2017-18 were Rs. 912 crores (~Euro 121 Mn) with a growth of 12% (constant currency 9%).
Torrent Pharma Annual Report 2018